One of the world’s largest environmentally underground storm water tanks installed under a parking lot in Virginia USA by ACF using the Atlantis Matrix® system. The reuseable storm water is being purified and recycled in a eco-friendly manner.
1) The job was a major shopping center expansion which called for approximately 340,000 cubic feet (9627.7 CUM) of underground detention, equivalent to the volume of practically 4 Olympic swimming pools.
2) Most of that volume was installed to replace an existing pond that was previously on the site. Additional volume beyond what was held in the pond was required due to the additional retail & parking space.
3) The cover materials over the RainTank was an open-graded stone (not sand)
4) The project had to be done VERY QUICKLY in order to get the new stores open in time. To meet the schedule we had crews of up to 25 people working long days to assemble and install about 20,000 cubic feet (566.3 CUM) per day.
5) RainTank was the best option for the project because it minimized the disturbance to the site and to the existing tenants/stores which stayed open throughout construction.